Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Language

So, I have officially been gone a week now! Time has gone by so fast. But I must say that in the short amount of time I have been gone, I have actually learned quite a lot. Adjusting to a new school, learning to use the bus service, getting used to the accent of the locals, and fitting into everyday life in a new society take some time, but have made the experience thus far a great one!

Before I get too used to everything though, I want to make a list of all the major word difference that I have noticed. This will kind of by my own dictionary for daily life here in Wales. Most of the word barriers I have noticed came from a recent trip to the grocery store...but many come from elsewhere.

American Word - British Equivalent
chips - crisps
french fries - chips
cookies - biscuits
oatmeal - porrige
skim milk - skimmed milk
1%/2% milk - semi-skimmed
cell phone - mobile
university - uni
class - lecture
study - revise
goodbye/thank you - cheers
practice (sports) - training
while - whilst
flu shot - flu jab
sweater - jumper
British Pound - also call "quid" (people find this one extremely funny when we say it with our "American accents")
Also, here, there is a Duracell Bunny....not an Energizer one!...Who would have thought?
That's all I can think of for now. Welp, cheers for now whilst I go to sleep!

2 comments:

  1. I like the flu jab, it sounds way more appropriate than shot. Cameron has to get one of those on Friday!

    ReplyDelete