Saturday, May 16, 2009

Varsity!

(I will catch up on the Spring Break Trip as soon as possible. I just put up pictures for now. So much has happened since then, I don't want to get behind with everything else too!)

Every year the Universities in Swansea and Cardiff play against each other, in every sport, in a big tournament called Varsity. Every sport plays on the same day and the event ends with the Rugby game held at night in Cardiff Arms Park. The Swansea v Cardiff Rugby game is the second biggest University event in the UK all year (the Cambridge/Oxford game is the only bigger one).


I was fortunate enough to be able to play in the Women’s lacrosse game of this tournament. All the athletes met at the students union and were bused to their appropriate playing fields. Our men’s lacrosse team won their game, but unfortunately, we lost ours. It was a wonderful atmosphere though with soccer, football, and rugby all paying in the same area and bus loads of students coming to watch.


Mens and Womens Lacrosse Teams


After all the daytimes matches were completed, buses took everyone in central Cardiff to eat at the Cardiff University student union and then proceed to the Stadium to see the rugby match. Sadly enough, even though heavily favored, Swansea lost the rugby match this year.
Being able to experience this traditional event was a lot of fun! It was a long day, but I had so much fun!


Rugby Match

In the stands at the game.




Here is a link with history of the Welsh Varsity:

No comments:

Post a Comment